Rubicon’s shaped purée bread sandwich recipe can be used to create a variety of grilled sandwiches, including grilled cheese, peanut butter and jelly, or meat and cheese combinations. The recipe incorporates our Grilled Toast Coloring Mix to create a browned, grilled finish to the purée bread. Sandwiches can be served cold or warm. Preparation can be completed in advance, rethermed and plated at time of service.
Our purée products and recipes meet the International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative (IDDSI) best practices guidelines for food texture safety for levels 4 and 5 purée diets.
Grilled cheese purée bread sandwich
Purée Bread Sandwich Recipe - IDDSI
2 minute 46 seconds
Watch our purée bread sandwich recipe followed by an IDDSI fork pressure and spoon tilt test.
10 Servings (1/4 Sheet Pan)
Purée Bread Mix: 3 cups (420g)
Rubicon Grilled Toast Coloring Mix: 2T
Oil or liquid butter: 6T
Hot water (170-185°F): 3 3/4 cups
Sandwich filling: as needed
20 Servings (1/2 Sheet Pan)
Purée Bread Mix: 6 cups (840g)
Rubicon Grilled Toast Coloring Mix: 1/4 cup
Oil or liquid butter: 12T (3/4 cup)
Hot water (170-185°F): 7 1/2 cups
Sandwich filling: as needed
Sheet Pan #1 Preparation (Plain)
1. Spray baking sheet liberally with food release.
2. Add half the amount of oil or liquid butter to half the amount of purée bread mix in a bowl. Slowly whisk in half the amount of hot water until well combined.
3. Immediately transfer to prepared baking sheet and spread evenly with a metal spatula.
Sheet Pan #2 Preparation (Grilled Toast Coloring Mix)
4. Spray baking sheet liberally with food release. Sprinkle grilled toast coloring mix and shake around baking sheet to coat the bottom.
5. Add the remaining oil or liquid butter to the remaining amount of purée bread mix in a bowl. Slowly whisk in the remaining hot water until well combined.
6. Immediately transfer to prepared baking sheet and spread evenly with a metal spatula.
7. Heat pan in 350°F oven for 2-5 minutes to activate coloring mix.
You now have 2 prepared sheet pans. 1 with grilled toast coloring mix, and 1 without.
8. Prepare sandwich middle layer and spread evenly over sheet pan #1.
9. Run a knife around the outside of sheet pan #2. Line up the edges of both pans and flip sheet pan #2 on top of sheet pan #1.
10. Remove top pan. Cover with film wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
11. Slice sandwiches 3 by 4 cuts for a total of 20 sandwiches.
Contact us with any questions. We would be delighted to speak with you.
Samples are available for all products. Contact us to request a sample kit.
View the Rubicon Foods Order Guide or request an order guide for a major distributor.
7320 East 86th Street, Suite 400, Indianapolis, IN 46256
© 2022 Rubicon Foods